ISO 9001:2008 CERTIFIED
CUSTOMS AND EXCISE DEPARTMENT
APPLICATION FOR CUSTOMS LICENSES FOR THE YEAR 2017
Eligible firms wishing to operate during the year 2017 as Customs Agents, Customs Bonded Warehouses/Manufacturing Under Bond Operators, Transporters of Goods under Customs Control or Inland Container Depots/Container Freight Stations Operators are hereby invited to submit their applications to the undersigned provided they meet the General Conditions as well as Specific Conditions for the respective license category.
- A) GENERAL CONDITIONS (for all license categories)
- Validated Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Certificate for the Company (for new applicants only)
- Validated Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Certificate for each Director (for new applicants only)
- VAT Registration Certificate, if any (for new applicants only)
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate showing tax position for the current year;
- Certified copy of a valid relevant business license;
- Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company (for new applicants only)
- Certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Name Registration
Certificate, where applicable (for new applicants only);
- A recent passport size photograph (not more than one megabyte) for each director of the company and at least two competent permanent technical staff who will transact Customs business (for all new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
- A valid identification document for each of the persons referred to in (8) above i.e.
National ID, Driving License, Passport or Voter Registration ID (for all new applicants and
for renewal only where there are changes);
- Letter(s) from guarantor(s) confirming annual premium remittances in respect of relevant bond securities (for renewals), or a relevant Customs security bond (for new applicants prior to issuance of license).
- A certified copy of title deed or lease agreement for a suitable office for the company which should be equipped with computing facilities capable of connecting to the Tanzania Customs Integrated System (TANCIS) – to be subjected to verification prior to granting of license;
- Non-existence of any outstanding Customs matter i.e. audit query, abandoned TANSADs, outstanding transit transactions or any other unresolved Customs issue (for renewals);
- A letter from the Business Registration and Licensing Agency (BRELA) stating the current status of the company’s Directors and Shareholders; (for all new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
NEW CUSTOMS LICENSES.
For the year 2017 we have postponed issuance of new licenses for Customs Bonded Warehouses, Manufacturing Under Bond, Inland Container Depots and Container Freight Stations, hence no application for a new license will be processed (until further notice)
- B) SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (for Customs Agents)
An application shall be made on the customs prescribed form (Form C.20) which is available at TRA website www.tra.go.tz and must be accompanied with:
1 Proof of payment of application fee – $ 50;
2 Certificate of registration with SUMATRA;
3 Proof of affiliation or membership to a recognized clearing and forwarding association;
4 Proof of membership to a public social security fund for each employee of the company.
5 Valid Customs License for the preceding year (for renewals);
6 Regulation 151 (2A) of the East African Community Customs Management Regulations,
2010 gave power the Commissioner for Customs and Excise to issue or renew license for
One year or three years .
- i. Renewal of licenses for three (3) years is allowed provided that the company meet the following additional conditions;
- Tax Clearance Certificate to be validated each year.
- Valid Business license for three years duration.
- Execution of Customs Bond Security of TSHS. 100, 000,000.00.
- Certificate of Registration with SUMATRA to be validated each year.
- TANSADS generated by the Clearing and Forwarding agents for the period from 2014 to 2016 at least should not be less than 300 entries.
- Renewal is subject to the Commissioner’s approval based on considerations like no major offences have been committed by the clearing and forwarding agent.
- ii. Renewal of license for one year, applicants shall Execute a Customs Security Bond to the tune of TSHS 50,000,000 for renewal applicants, and TSHS. 100,000,0000 for new applicants. (new applicants to submit this after passing the examination);
7 For a new applicant, an introduction letter, in duplicate, for one of the competent persons in (8) above who will represent the company in the interview containing e mail and telephone contact provided he/she meets the following conditions:
- i) He/she is a director or a permanent staff of the company, AND
- ii) Possesses the East African Customs Clearing and Freight Forwarding Practicing
iii) She/he has never been a director of a company whose Customs agency license has been revoked;
- iv) No candidate who previously successfully sat for an interview with another
Company will be allowed to sit for interview.
8 A signed declaration that none of the directors of the company has previously been a director of any licensed company whose license has been revoked in the last five years;
9 A signed declaration that none of the directors of the company is a director of an existing licensed company; (for all new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
10 A signed declaration that none of the directors or shareholders of the company is an employee of TRA;
11 Declaration undertaking to provide basic Customs services on a 24/7 work arrangement.
12 A signed declaration that the Company is not involved or does not control the activities of a firm that handles and stores imports after they have been discharged from a vessel or aircraft and exports to be put on board, a vessel or aircraft.
- C) SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (for transporters of goods under customs control)
All Applicants for Transporter’s License and Vehicle License must observe the following additional conditions:
- Execute Customs security bond to the tune of TSHS 10,000,000;
- Certificate of registration with SUMATRA;
- Submit a renewal letter confirming annual premium for bond security of TSHS
10,000,000; from guarantor attached with copy of the original bond that is subject to renewal;
- Persons to directly handle Customs documents or transact with Customs shall be only the directors/owners/employees as per General Conditions in Part A;
- Proof of affiliation or membership to a recognized relevant association;
- Apply for Certificate of Transporters (COT);
- Each individual carrying unit shall have to be licensed using form C.28 and C.40 upon payment of license fee of two hundred US dollars ($ 200) as per East African Community Customs Management Regulations 2010.
- D) CUSTOMS BONDED WAREHOUSE (CBW), MANUFACTURING UNDER BOND (MUB), INLAND CONTAINER DEPOT (ICD) AND CONTAINER FREIGHT STATIONS (CFS).
Applications for renewal of the license to operate CBW, MUB, ICD and CFS will be done online through TANCIS. Other than renewals, no fresh applications for 2017 are entertained until further notice.
Applications must be submitted as soon as practicable but not later than 30 October, 2016 to: Manager, Procedures and Licensing
Customs and Excise Department
Mapato House, Sokoine Drive
- P. Box 9053
Dar es Salaam
NB: Please note that applications received after the set deadline shall not be processed.
“Together We Build Our Nation”
COMMISSIONER FOR CUSTOMS AND EXCISE